I consider myself to have an olive green thumb. I like working with plants and am still learning the tricks of making them grow better. Obviously, they don't always survive. My sister-in-law, Erin, told me a great quote the other day pertaining to this: "You don't truly understand a plant until you've killed it three times." I'm not sure where she got that from, but it made me feel better!
So, when Santa brought me a really neat planter for Christmas at the Hege house this year, I was excited and a little nervous at the same time. Nannie used several of them last summer at her house and got tons of veggies. But she's really good with plants. What made me feel a little more confident is that it has a huge well underneath so that you only have to keep that full instead of watering the actual plants--they just pull from it when they need to. It also came with this implanted fertilizer that keeps the plants going. I was hoping this was fool-proof.
Several weekends ago, Anna and I filled up the planter with soil and planted a couple of tomato plants and several cucumber plants. They have been growing like weeds and look pretty, but we have yet to see any fruit of our labor (haha).
A couple of days ago, Anna was checking out our plants and came running over yelling, "Mommy, I see baby puh-matoes!" It was precious. And sure enough, there they were. No cucumbers yet, but the cutest little green baby "puh-matoes" you have ever seen. I had to document the evidence...


I just knew by the title of your post that Anna must have a new food obsession with "baby puh-matoes." Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteThat planter is really cool. I have a black thumb, but maybe that could upgrade me to an olive green thumb too. ;)
What is the planter called? I think I might get that for Meg if our garden doesn't work
ReplyDelete