Anna got a little bit of Christmas money and once the holiday excitement was over, she knew exactly what she wanted to go and spend it on…a rainbow loom. Even though she has come home with numerous bracelets that friends have given her and was enamored with Emma and Ellie's looms at Thanksgiving, I just wasn't sure that we wanted to enter that world. I knew that it would mean that I would have to learn how to make bracelets because Anna can be a little needy when learning a new skill. Plus, I just envisioned all of the bands all over the place. Plus, I really hesitate jumping onto these fad bandwagons. Now, though, Anna wasn't leaving me much choice. With some hesitancy, I gave in, but have since gained a whole new perspective.
Anna quickly learned how to use YouTube to find tutorials on the different types of bracelets. There is a whole rainbow loom world out there and it's crazy!!! She really has grown and learned and enjoyed (most of the time) her new hobby. The true benefits are that she has gained the following: perseverance (sticking with something that's hard at first until it gets easier), dealing with disappointment (when you've spent an hour looping a bracelet and then watch it fall apart when you take it off the loom), independence (she started off not being able to do anything unless I was sitting there with her--now she just calls me when she needs help), pride (in actually making a finished product), and confidence (from gaining a new skill). I'd say all that was well worth Anna's $15!! There were a lot of life skills packed inside that little box!
Plus, you really can make some cool things on it--bracelets, rings, charms, ornaments, you name it! I have become quite a fan. ;0)
| So excited about doing her first bracelet! |
| The seasoned pro making a Carolina blue bracelet for Daddy. |
![]() |
| A sampling of her masterpieces |



No comments:
Post a Comment