The children's book that comes with the elf says that you are supposed to name him as soon as he shows up so that he can "start his assignment" to watch all the little boys and girls. I really wanted Anna to name him, so we have been asking her what his name should be. We have even started suggesting some. "Franklin" and "Kenan" were a couple of suggestions, just to see if Anna thought the elf had any UNC roots. Unfortunately, these were vetoed. She would scrunch up her face or just say, "No, that's not it" and continue whatever she was doing.
Well, yesterday after she found elf's new hiding place for the day, I was determined to give him a name so we could call him something besides Mr. Elf. So, I started rattling off names. I decided to start with family names, so I went through all the males in the family. I was starting to think it was not meant to be when I moved on to uncles. I said, "Is his name Benny?" Anna turned around with a surprised look and said, "Yes, Benny!" This almost made me tear up because my dear Uncle Benny passed away last year after a long, hard battle with cancer. I know that he's been up there in heaven looking down on us, but now I just know that he's the one grinning at us in that elf costume!
So, we now have Benny the Elf watching us every day. It makes me think that elves and angels have an awful lot in common.;)


so sweet
ReplyDelete