Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Our Family Adventure

After moping and womp-womping around Friday and Saturday, I was tired of being at home.  I told Will that I wanted to take the kids somewhere where I wouldn't see anyone I knew and just "play in a creek".  Was I out of my mind?  I did some research online and found the Hebron Rock Colony off of the parkway near Blowing Rock.  One article said the rocks and falls were just a "ten minute walk from Price Park".  Score!
So Sunday morning, we loaded the kids up with a picnic lunch and drove west to the mountains.  We got up to the park and ate our lunch by one of the creeks.  Then we started our "short walk" to the falls.  Well, whoever wrote that article lied!  After 45 minutes through mud and over rocks and through tunnels of trees through the woods, we were only a mile down the 1.5 mile path.  Plus, a storm had blown up and it was raining and thundering.  Will and I had to make the really hard decision to turn around and trudge back to the car without ever seeing any waterfalls.  It was a huge lesson for Anna about "going with the flow" and Jack was a trooper keeping up with us most of the time.  They played in the creek back by the car for a few minutes, but all of us were wiped out from our hike.
Oh well.  We did go somewhere that I knew no one and got to play in a creek, so I guess we half-way accomplished our goal.  And Will was so positive and refrained from calling me a raving lunatic, which I so appreciated.  Maybe next time we'll be more prepared!!  We chalked it up to a great family adventure! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment